You can now manage SSL/TLS certificates with the WebFaction control panel! In just a few clicks, you can:
- generate certificate signing requests
- upload or copy and paste certificates
- choose which certificate to use with each of your websites
Effective immediately, you can secure a site without opening a support ticket. But if you run into any problems, the support team is still available to help you out. Because we’re sure you’re eager to start managing certificates on your own, we’ve enabled the feature now, but we’re working to make managing certificates even better over the coming days, with complete documentation, API support, and more.
But as of today, you can upload a certificate and private key from any certificate provider through the control panel. If you don’t already have a certificate, you have a few choices when it comes to getting one:
- You can use your server’s default, shared certificate, though visitors will get an error message warning that the connection may not be secure.
- You can buy a certificate from a certificate provider (typically your domain name registrar can provide this service).
- You can get a certificate from Let’s Encrypt, a certificate authority that provides free 90-day certificates.
The new functionality is available in the panel under “Domains/Websites > SSL Certificates”.
We’re really excited about Let’s Encrypt! It’s a great project that’s helping to make secure sites practical for everyone. And though we’re not ready to announce anything yet, let’s just say that we want Let’s Encrypt and the control panel to work very well together.
Update: As of 12 October 2016, our documentation and API have been updated to include the new SSL certificate management features!