[March 4, 2011: This position has been filled.]
We’re currently looking for a support engineer for the US day shift. Read on if you’re interested in joining our team!
Anywhere in the world. This is a telecommuting position. You need to be able to work from ~5PM GMT to ~3am GMT (US day shift), 5 days on, 3 days off.
You will be the be the first line of contact for our customers, primarily via our online support ticketing system but also on our blogs and forums. Your job will be to answer their questions, fix their problems and generally leave them with a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
This is a real problem solving position. Sure, there are some questions which are asked repeatedly, but we’ve eliminated most of them and are working on the rest. That means that most of what’s left are one-offs which require real thought not just a standard response. We need someone who will enjoy attacking a problem and learning whatever technical skills they need to solve it.
You’ll also perform customer service duties such as setting up new accounts, canceling closed accounts, and responding to pre-sales inquiries.
You’ll be well-supported while you’re learning about our systems but this is a telecommuting position so you will need to be able to work under your own initiative, learn quickly and be the sort of person who asks for help when you need it.
- A friendly demeanor, excellent customer service skills and genuine desire to help solve customers’ problems.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- This position is telecommuting only. You must have your own place to work from including permanent and reliable Internet access.
- Must be self-motivating.
- Familiarity with Linux systems. You don’t need to be an expert but you need to know the basics and be willing to learn.
- Flexibility with regards to your working hours. This position may include some work outside of normal business hours and at the weekend.
Bonus Extras (nice to have, but not required)
- Experience with troubleshooting Linux systems including tools such as Apache, Postfix, Bind, etc.
- Experience with database systems such as MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Experience with one or more web development frameworks or tools such as Django, Rails, Zope/Plone, WordPress, Drupal, etc. (This is not a development position, but we do support customers who develop with these tools.)
This is an hourly position. Your hourly wage is based on your location and experience.
How to Apply
Send an email to email@example.com with the name of the job you’re applying for in the subject line. Attach a copy of your resume/CV in PDF, HTML, RTF or text format. In particular please don’t send Word documents. In the body of email tell us a bit about yourself and explain why we would be mad not to hire you.
(This info is also available on our jobs page.)