WebFaction turns 7, new hosting plan available!

I can’t believe it’s already been 7 years since we registered python-hosting.com which later became WebFaction.
We’ve come a long way since 7 years ago and we have lots of exciting announcements for the next few months.

Here is the first one:

From today we are replacing our four shared hosting plans with a unique hosting plan and a few add-ons.
The new plan is the same price as the former “Shared 1″ plan but it comes with a massive 100GB of storage and extra memory is cheaper than before. See features & prices for the new plan details.

The new plan is only available on our latest servers (Web173 and over) which means that it’s available for all new customers and all existing customers willing to move their data to one of these new servers. We would love to make the new plan available on all of our servers but unfortunately servers before Web173 don’t have enough disk space to be able to cope.

Here is to a good start to 2011!

Update: We didn’t anticipate such demand from existing customers for the new plan and at this rate we’ll run out of servers soon. To prevent that existing customers will only be able to get the new plan this time next week (by then we’ll have provisioned enough servers).

Update: The new plan is now available to existing customers.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to WebFaction turns 7, new hosting plan available!

1. Sergii Galashyn says:

Congratulations! And thanks for the good news, I’m already thinking about possibility of migration to the new plan :)

2. Tanja says:

Congrats! :)
    What is involved if i want to migrate to the new servers?

3. remi says:

Tanja: you need to copy your data and configuration across. The procedure is described at http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/moving.html?highlight=migrate#simple-migration-guide . Note that you may be able to skip some of these steps (for instance if you don’t have any extra SSH/FTP users or don’t have any cronjobs).

4. Orion Vianna says:

“We would love to make the new plan available on all of our servers but unfortunately servers before Web173 don’t have enough disk space to be able to cope.”

Will we get the memory upgrade though?

Thanks!

5. remi says:

Orion: “Will we get the memory upgrade though?”: the new plan has the same memory as a “Shared 1″. All services and prices on servers before Web173 stay the same as they were before.

6. Patrick says:

This phrasing seems ambiguous. I’m an existing customer and am interested in migrating. So I should wait until next Weds. to begin to migrate?

Thanks.

7. remi says:

Patrick: “I’m an existing customer and am interested in migrating. So I should wait until next Weds. to begin to migrate?”: yes you have to wait until next Wednesday before you can get a new plan on a new server :)

8. Shabeer Naha says:

WebFaction has always been reputed with quality of service. I don’t think people would mind paying more for more space and bandwidth. I hope you are not taking the overselling path by providing this much space & BW for all.

9. remi says:

Shabeer: We only ever upgrade our plans if we’re 100% confident that we can keep the same level of service. This is why this new plan is only available on newer/beefier servers.

10. SAn says:

You are awesome! Keep the good work 7**7 years more! :D

11. medhat says:

I am an existing customer, and it is still not clear to me how to initiate the migration process. Looking at the link provided above, it seems that there should be a step before it. For example, how do I know which server I will be migrating to?

Also, when following this it mentions that you can select which machine you are creating the new users on, but when I did not I was not prompted to select a machine.

So would you please clarify what needs to be done if having an existing account to be able to follow the steps in that migration guide.

Thanks

12. remi says:

@medhat : to initiate the migration just go to “Account->Upgrade/downgrade” in the control panel and say that you would like to migrate your account.

13. Peter Binderup says:

Is there an upgrade plan for customers on the old plans (I’m on shared 2) so that they over time are automatically moved to the new plan with all extra space and so on? or at least they have some thing to compensate the less space for more $ by staying on the original plans.

I feel that the “old” customers need to have a reason not to move and spend a lot of time setting up the new server according to the migration page.

14. remi says:

@Peter: Existing customers keep paying the same price and getting the same service as they have before. The new plan is only available on newer servers because these servers have better specs.

15. Natan Yellin says:

Can I still upgrade my existing shared2 plan to shared3? The only spec I care about is memory, which is cheaper under the old plan.

16. Peter Binderup says:

Looking at the migration overview (simple or advanced) I don’t see how to make sure that the email addresses are moved to the new server. Are they moved automatically? The other steps are clear enough.

If I decide to move from the old server to the new one – how much time do I get to move between the two servere? And am I charged for just the one?

17. remi says:

@Natan: yes you can. It’s still the same price at before

@Peter: emails are on separate email servers to they don’t need to be moved when you move your websites. If you decide to move we give you a free week to migrate your data.

18. Peter Binderup says:

@remi.

Cool that you give a week to move the data – I plan the move a little later and just use the control panel to request the move.

19. Natan Yellin says:

Thanks. Are the old plans still around for comparison? I need to upgrade my memory and I want to check all of my options.

20. Nis says:

I assume this also means 100GB for email. Is this correct?

21. remi says:

@Nis: Yes, your email data counts towards your total disk usage

@Natan: We’ll add them to the panel but in the mean time you can see them here: http://blog.webfaction.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/shared-plans.png